Wednesday, October 24, 2007

 
HONG KONG

Dear Leonhard,

Hello from Hong Kong! I finally arrived here from Japan on the 3rd of October. Iris tells me that I had just missed the National Day fireworks and celebrations on the 1st, but she promised me we'd have fun anyway! And boy did we have fun!

I met Iris' dog, Quila, and one of her many friends; here is a photo of me and a rabbit called Peaches. Isn't she cute?Iris lives on the top floor of a really tall building. In Hong Kong there is very little flat land in between all the hills and mountains, so all the buildings are built really tall, to fit in more people! This is the view out of Iris' bedroom window - isn't it scary being so high up? I really loved it though!Iris was busy volunteering during the first week and I got to go along. Iris really loves to work backstage in her free time. Seh does all this cool stuff in the theatre, where people come to sit and watch people act on stage. Iris taught me a lot about how to be a deputy stage manager, and I even got to operate the lighting console! Don't I look professional here?
















Every day we would take the bus out into Central, the business district, and I got to see a lot of sights out of the window. They have really big buses in Hon Kong, and I loved sitting on the top deck! There was so much to see!

"Hong Kong" actually means "fragrant harbour" in Cantonese, so I was really excited to see all the boats in the harbour out of the bus window. These boats are parked in what is called a "typhoon shelter" it's where boats go to hide when a storm is coming. They call these storms "typhoon" in this part of the world.


We went for a special "dim sum" lunch in a really big restaurant. "Dim sum" means "touch the heart" or "order to your heart's content" in English. Dim sum is a Hong Kong speciality, and it's really yummy! You can order many things because each dish contains oly of a few bites of very tasty food. You order by writing down the number of dishes you want next to the name of the dish on the sheet of pater on the left. The food comes in bamboo steamers that oyu can stack on top of each other. Iris told me that they also call this "yum cha" which means "drinking tea". and they had a lot of tea in teapots to drink with the "dim sum". It was really delicious! I guess it was a very popular thing to eat because there were so many people in this huge restaurant.















Hong Kong has some pretty amazing architecture and Iris brought me around to show me alot of them. They were most pretty at night because they use a lot of lights to light up each building, so they really shine in the night! Here I am by the International Fiance Centre and the Bank of China - I am such a little bear in comparison with these huge buildings! There was also this little short colonial building with a dome, which is the Legislative council building - it is where a lot of the lawmaking happens in Hong Kong.
The Foreign Correspondant's Club here is also a colonial building - it is where all the journalists and reporters and politicians used to meet all the time! Now it is a private club but still full of interesting people. During the day Iris took me to see this one building called Lippe Centre which was designed by an Australian architect. The building looks like koala bears hugging a tree trunk. Can you see it? I wanted to take a photo of it because I'm a bear, too!
We also walked by Lan Kwai Fong, which is a really famous area full of bars and pubs. I took a picture but we didn't go in there because it was so crowded and not really suitable for a little bear like me!I had a really great time in Hong Kong and it was a nice place to end my tour of Asia. Iris tells me that she will miss me very much because I'm such a sweet bear. Now I'm off to America to see what life is like there. I can't wait! I hope you are doing well, Leonhard, and I will let you know how my visit to Florida went in my next post. Good bye for now and take care!

Felix


Comments:
haha good one Felix! Love what you have to say in the about us section and you are such a considerate bear.lol.. i wish i had a bear like you.. mine's do nothing. haha
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?